Abbado, Adrian Boult, Ashkenazy, Backhaus, Bernstein, Boskovsky, Bruno Walter, Chailly, Christoph von Dohnanyi, Clemens Krauss, Curzon, Dorati, Erich Kleiber, Fritz Reiner, Gulda, Haitink, Horst Stein, Karajan, Karl Bohm, Karl Munchinger, Kertész, Khachaturian, Knappertsbusch, Kondrashin, Krips, Kubelik, Maazel, Mackerras, Mehta, Monteux, Schmidt-Isserstedt, Schuricht, Solti, Szell
Label : Decca
Format : Flac track
Cover : Yes
A luxurious and authoritative 64-CD orchestral and concerto set (plus bonus CD), celebrating one of the world’s great orchestras and their 64-year relationship with Decca Classics.
– ‘Champagne’ style box – lift off lid, with luxury gold-wrap outer box;
– Black and gold CD wallets, with recordings arranged chronologically by composer, starting with Haydn and ending with Khachaturian and Kodaly); -200pp softcover perfect-bound book, approx. 200mm x 110mm, landscape orientation. FIVE essays are provided, each of approx. 1500 words, respectively by Dr. Silvia Kargl of the Wiener Philharmoniker Historisches Archiv, by long-term Decca producers Christopher Raeburn, Erik Smith and John Culshaw, and by Paul Moseley/Raymond McGill of Decca;
– All note content in English, German and Japanese.
– The book presents the majority of the original album sleeves, as well as photographic images, contracts and even letters, all of which together offer a comprehensive overview of the Decca-WP relationship across several decades.
– 64 CDs of orchestral and concerto recordings, starting 64 years ago, handsomely presented and imaginatively curated.
– A document of a label-orchestra relationship, of famous venues and of the art of classical recording. Few labels can claim to be so associated with a city as inextricably as Decca is with Vienna. No history of classical recordings would be complete without a chapter documenting how both Decca and the WP worked to perfect the art of recording in the city’s great concert halls, most notably in the famous Sofiensaal.
Complete tracklist : Wiener Philharmoniker – The Orchestral Edition